Friday, May 3, 2013

Paleoso Fajitas

Just in time for Cinco de Mayo. As a Texan girl, I love Mexican food and we have an over-abundance of restaurants in our area, though not many are truly authentic. Unfortunately, it's next to impossible  to find one that doesn't cook in some sort of crap oil such as canola, soy or corn and I'm going out of my way to avoid such oils these days. I hate to come off as a "snobby food elitist," but I'm not willing to eat something I know is going to harm my gut and make me feel terrible. I decided if I wanted it done right that I would just do it myself. Oh man, did I do it right!



Paleoso Fajitas
2 lbs. flank steak, grass-fed if possible
a small dab of animal fat, olive or coconut oil

Marinade:
juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
3 Tbs. oil, olive or coconut
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. dried orange peel
salt and pepper to taste

Veggies:
1 16oz bag frozen broccoli and carrot mix
1 16oz bag frozen bell pepper onion mix (fajita mix)
Guacamole for garnish

1. Mix all marinade ingredients together.

2. Put meat in a large ziplock bag and pour marinade over it, shake the bag so that the whole steak is drowned in the sauce. Place in fridge for 12-24 hours.

3. Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium heat, place dab of oil in it and allow it to melt.

4. Remove meat from bag and place in hot skillet. Cook about 5-8 minutes on each side depending on desired level of done-ness. DO NOT drain juices from skillet.

4. Place cooked meat on a butchers block, cut into fajita strips.

5. Place bags of veggies in skillet and toss until they are coated in marinade and juices from meat. Continue to cook until veggies a tender.

6. In a large serving bowl mix meat and veggies together and top with guac. Serve.

Serves 4

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. So my comment is a little late, but I made these for Cinco de Mayo and they were great! It was the first time I had ever cooked/used flank steak. (I used to be vegetarian...then added seafood and white meats back in. Now that I'm full-paleo, I've opened the door for red meats).

    I had some fresh onion and peppers on hand so I used those instead of the frozen veggie suggestion and it was still great! Thanks for the meal inspiration Brit:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the new beginning! Glad you liked them as much as I did. Thanks for the comment:)

      Delete