There is nothing better than a steaming bowl of soup on a cold day like today. Yesterday, it was too warm for soup but today-- today is winter for us in Texas and it's perfect! This soup makes me all warm and cozy on the inside... it also reminds me of being a little kid and being served "comfort food" when it was too cold to play outside (kids those days used to do that). Plus this is another hybrid recipe; half crockpot half stovetop, and that's exciting.
Paleo Chicken "Noodle" Soup
1 medium-sized spaghetti squash
1 whole chicken (3lbs-ish)
1-2 tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper
1 32oz carton chicken broth plus juices from the cooked chicken
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375. Stab holes all over spaghetti squash, place on cookie sheet and bake for 45 mins, or until the squash is soft all the way through.
2. Place chicken in a crockpot, cover with olive oil, salt and pepper. Turn on low heat, cover and cook for 6 hrs.
3. Once chicken has cooked, set it aside and let it cool.
4. Take out a large pot and drain juice (broth) from crockpot into the pot then add the carton of chicken broth and heat on medium heat.
5. Add celery, carrots, yellow onion, garlic, bay leaves, rosemary and thyme.
6. De-bone and shred chicken. Add it in with the veggies and broth. Sprinkle in salt and pepper, cover and let simmer, stirring on occasion. Turn heat down.
7. While soup is simmering, cut squash open length-wise and clean out seeds. Take a fork and scrape out the "noodles," placing them into the pot, stir to combine.
8. Cook about 20-30 more mins, remove bay leaves and serve, garnishing with green onion. Or cook it all day long then serve. This is a dish that gets better and better the longer it sits.
*Side-note. This can all be done in a crockpot as well!