Two of the things I love in life are mint and lamb. Luckily, they are a match made in Heaven. I can't think of anything that goes together better. This dish has a bit of a fancy touch without all the fuss, perfect for a holiday dinner or a sit-in-your-pjs-and-watch-Christmas-movies kind of night.
Mint Aioli Smothered Lamb
2 lbs lamb shoulder
3/4 cup olive oil
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup mint
3 Tbs. parsley
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
salt to taste
1. Turn oven broiler on low.
2. Separate egg yolks from whites (keep the whites to use in something else, like breakfast the next morning)
3. Put the yolks in a large mixing bowl. Or using a stand mixer, beat until yolks are a pale yellow and have a creamy consistency.
4. With your mixer on a medium-to-high speed, VERY VERY SLOWLY mix in oil, I mean a tiny drizzle at a time, this step took me at least 10-15 mins. I poured the oil in a steady slow thin stream for about a minute, then I would wait a minute so the oil could mix with the yolks.
5. Do this over and over until all the oil was mixed in, then I let the mixer continue to beat the oil in for another 5 mins.
6. FINALLY add the mint, parsley, cayenne pepper and salt
7. After everything has been thoroughly mixed, whip the mixture for a few more mins then pour over lamb, wrap tightly in foil and place in a broiler-safe pan.
8. Cook for 45 mins.