Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sweet Potato Salad

Thanksgiving is tomorrow! We all know what that means, the next day is Black Friday! Yes, I'm one of "those" people. I will be completely exhausted from cooking, running the Turkey Trot (annual 5K/10K) and house-hopping. Naturally, it only makes sense to take a cat nap midday, followed by a dozen hours (give or take) of shopping.  I know it's totally crazy, but it's a blast and I look forward to it every year, I love the thrill of the kill... kill of a good deal that is. However, it's not all fun and games, there is a lot of "strategizing" involved.  First the naughty and nice list has to be made then my friend Amanda and I get together and go through all the ads with a fine-tooth comb (little hairstylist joke for ya) and decide what takes priority as we map out our stops. This year my friend/cousin Jamie is coming along, which is so exciting because she is a black Friday virgin!

I see we've gotten off track a bit...  Back to the food. I have to bring something to eat because the only things available at our families' respective Thanksgivings are... not the best, and I don't have time to be bread drunk or doubled-over from "cheating."  It has to be something yummy, portable and has to hold me over so I don't chew my arm off or worse, eat that bad food. I'm bring this! It's perfect, and has bacon because well it's bacon, sweet potatoes to replenish me and a handful of nuts for staying power! Enjoy!





Sweet Potato Salad
2 sweet potatoes
12 oz. apple smoked bacon (or whatever you have) diced and fried
pine nuts
walnuts ( I used black walnuts)
1 apple, cored and chopped (I used a Macintosh apple)
coarse sea salt
8 Tbs. cinnamon aioli

Cinnamon aioli

2 egg yolks
3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 Tbs. Honey
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1. Separate egg yolks from the whites, but keep the whites to use in something else, like breakfast the next morning.

2. Put the yolks in a large mixing bowl, or using a stand mixer, beat until yolks are a pale yellow and have a creamy consistency.

3. With your mixer on a medium to high speed, VERY VERY SLOWLY mix in oil, I mean a tiny drizzle at a time, this step took me at least 10-15 mins. I poured the oil in a steady slow thin stream for about a minute, then I would wait a minute so the oil could mix with the yolks.

4. Do this over and over until all the oil was mixed in, then I let the mixer continue to beat the oil in for another 5 mins.

5. FINALLY add cinnamon and honey

6. After everything has been thoroughly mixed, whip the mixture for a few more mins then pour in a serving bowl or jar and refrigerate until needed.

Salad

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Wash potatoes and with a knife make slits all over the it. Place on cookie sheet

3. Bake until soft, not mushy like a baked potatoes would be. You want it to be slightly firm. Let cool, peel and cut into 1inch chunks.

4. Place nuts on a small cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 5-10 mins or until nuts turn golden brown.

5. In a casserole dish mix potatoes, nuts, apple and bacon.

6. Pour in aioli and a dash of salt and stir until everything is coated.


*This is tasty cold or hot!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Yum - i'm going to try this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete