Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Paleo Cornbread Dressing

Man oh man am I excited about Saturday! Ternion CrossFit is having their first ever Ternion Turkey Day, which will consist of a partner WOD followed by a Paleo seminar given by this girl I know, then a Paleo feast! You can guess who's in charge of the seminar and the nomnoms... Ok it's me! I can't wait to hang out with all of my friends and have some good old fashion CrossFit fun!

Casey often says this was my "Doctor Frankenstein (It's ALIIIVE) Moment" with paleo food. I have always made the cornbread dressing for Casey's family's holiday dinners and I have to say this: Paleo Dressing is every bit as good as "traditional" dressing. It is quite the undertaking paleo or not, but do not be intimidated! It has a lot of ingredients but it's so much easier than it looks. Actually it takes me exactly the same amount of time to make it as it did before. I made this last year as well as the year before and guess what... NOBODY knew the difference! I have to say this is the best dressing that I have ever had...sorry G-Ma!

Side Note: Nobody knew the difference the first several times they ate it, last time I told them ahead of time and I got "This dressing tastes weird" and "I like real dressing better." Moral of the story: Lie and say it's "real," they won't even know!


Dressing
1 large roasting pan or disposable roasting pan
1 4lb. chicken
3 32oz boxes of chicken broth
3 bell peppers, chopped
1 large head of celery, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
8 boiled eggs


1. Put chicken in a large pot, cover it in the chicken broth and set to boil.

2. Peel and chop eggs. Set aside.

3. Once chicken is cooked (takes about an hour) remove it from the boiling broth and let cool.

4. Place chopped veggies in boiling broth. Cook until they are tender, for about 30 minutes. Then turn heat off and let the pot cool.

5.  Debone and shred chicken.

6. Place chicken and eggs in roasting pan and combine.

Then...

Cornbread
***This makes one batch. You will need three. I make one batch without the honey/maple syrup.***
2/3 cup coconut flour
1 stick of grass-fed butter, melted or 8 oz ghee
7 eggs
1-2 Tbs. honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup water
pinch of sea salt

7. Preheat oven to 400. Grease a cast iron skillet  (any size will do but I use a medium-sized skillet) and heat in oven for about 5-10 minutes.

8. In a stand mixer, mix all ingredients (except water).

9. The mixture will be thick, but if too thick, add water until you get the consistency of batter.

10. Take skillet out of oven and pour batter into it.

11. Bake for 20-35 minutes. Depending on what size skillet you use, insert a knife into the middle of the bread, when it comes out clean it's done. Remove skillet and turn off oven.


12. When bread has cooled, crumble it in with the shredded chicken and eggs.

13. Mix thoroughly.

14. Preheat oven to 350.

15. Pour pot of veggies and broth over cornbread and chicken mixture. Entire contents of pot... It seems like a lot but the bread will absorb almost all of it.

16. Bake in oven for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring every time the top browns.

17. Take out, let cool and serve.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment