Friday, November 30, 2012

Citrus Cornish Hens

I watched this video the other day and it really made me think how the messsage rings true for so many of us. Our success and satisfaction with our life is often driven by money and material things. I know more people that hate their job than love it, and it just seems like we are willing to do anything (even if it makes us unhappy) for a few extra bucks or a new designer handbag or the latest gas guzzling car. I am just as guilty as anyone as being materialistic and I'm not going to lie and say I don't love things. Though I am feeling myself shift a little bit over the last two years and my perspective has started to change. It started a little before that but I really began to act on it within the last two years. I want to be successful. I want to live comfortably. I want to have "nice things," too but my idea of success and "nice things" have changed. I'm not going to do anything stupid and throw away all the  handbags I have or anything like that (I've already paid for them, I might as well get some use out of them) I'm probably not going to stop getting butterflies when I see the Spring shoe collection at Dillards and I won't stop drooling over that ridiculously expensive oven at Williams-Sonoma. It's funny because a few hours before I watched the video I saw said oven and got sick to my stomach when the sales clerk told me how much it cost. I felt kinda defeated because I knew that's not something I would ever be able to buy and it stung. While watching this video I thought "Wow that's what we all need to do!" I want to do what makes me happy (both of us not just me) and I really don't care about rolling in money... OK I wouldn't exactly hate it. I want to go somewhere with all of this, really that's what I want. Simply put, those material things are just becoming less important to me.  I just want to make enough money to pay our bills, buy grass-fed meat, eat as clean as we can, do CrossFit and make sure our little fur babies stay healthy paleo pets. It would be nice to wear Lulu and not work until I die, too. That's it.

Do you ever ask yourself what you really want? What makes you itch? Are you surprised by the answer? Enough food for thought, here's some real food:

 


Citrus Cornish Hens
4 Cornish hens
juice of one orange
zest of half an orange (the same orange, don't be wasteful!)
1 shallot, very finely chopped
3 Tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic
pinch of sage
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375. Place hens in a baking dish.

2. Combine orange juice, zest and shallots.

3. Stir in honey, paprika, garlic, sage, salt and pepper.

4. Pour glaze over hens and bake for 35-45 mins.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete