Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chocolate Crunch Pumpkin Pie

Have I mentioned you can find all Thanksgiving recipes in the FREE E-Book to the right... See it? Yeah that thing: The Paleo Fabulous Thanksgiving! I don't get any click-backs for downloads, to be honest. Just in case you don't want to download it (for some crazy reason) I am posting all the recipes individually.

I know this time of the year can be stressful and when you eat Paleo it can make things harder. To be honest, one of the things I fret over the most is wondering if that pie/cookie/cake is worth the cheat. I sit there on Thanksgiving day and think everyone else gets to enjoy a feast and I am deprived because, and let's be honest--unless I cooked it, it's probably not going to be something that I can eat. I use the word "can" because I have a hard time eating something I know WILL make me sick. I hate feeling like crap so yeah I can eat it if I want to but not without consequences. Make it easy on yourself, bring a dish that you can enjoy, I happen to love pie so something like this is perfect for me. I can pass up other dishes without hesitation but pie... it's hard... real hard. Don't make it hard; bake it and bring it!!

My Aunt Lylie makes this pie and people rave about it, so I thought I would Paleotize it. The result? People raved.



Crust

2 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 Tbs. maple syrup
1 Tbs. vanilla
1 egg

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9" pie pan with coconut oil.

2. Using a stand mixer or food processor, mix coconut oil, honey and vanilla.

3. Pour flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into the wet ingredients and pulse or mix.

4. Using your hands, take the dough and place it in the middle of the pie pan. Work the dough so it covers the sides and bottom of the pan evenly. This takes time.

5. Bake the crust for 5-10 minutes. This crust will puff up a bit so using the palm of your hand gently press it down to flatten it. Set aside and let cool.

Then...

Filling

3 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 cup honey
4 eggs
5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Topping

1/12 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
3/4 cup Honey
5-6 Tbs. coconut oil, melted
5 Tbs. coconut flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1. In a stand mixer or using a mixing bowl and hand mixer, mix the pumpkin and coconut milk.

2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is well blended. It should look speckled.

3. Pour filling in to crust and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until almost set.

4. Cover the pie with topping.

5. Bake 15-20 minutes.

6. Let cool and serve.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to try this! Doesn't look like much, but the recipe sounds like it would be absolutely delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know! Also, I forgot to add 5 Tbs. coconut flour to the topping. I am editing that today but wanted to make sure you knew.

      Delete