Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mojito

So obviously alcohol isn't Paleo; we all know that. Drinking on the reg is a bad idea if you are training for the bigger picture, i.e. competitions, or if you have any fat to shed and muscle to gain. If you want to feel like crap every day than drinking every day is for you, but I like to feel alert and refreshed so alcohol is just not that important to me.  Even though I'm not big drinker, I do like to enjoy a refreshing adult beverage from time to time.  I prefer wine but like I mentioned before, I live in southeast Texas, (in other words, it is so freaking hot, it's ridiculous) and an ice cold mixed drink seems so much more appropriate. Here's the problem, you can't just order a mixed drink without it coming out full of crap that is really not Paleo, like simple syrup, sweet 'n sour, soda and don't forget sugar, sugar, SUGARRRR! When we go out and I really wanted a drink I would order 2 shots of tequila on ice and ask for a bowl of limes, squeeze all the lime juice in my tequila, add a little honey (previously agave until I found out how naughty it was) and BAM,  it was my version of Robb Wolf's Norcal Margarita. While tequila will always be my first love, 2012 has been the summer of Mojito. My Crossfitting/Paleoing friend (and cousin) Jamie says "Why drink when you can eat," but I am a responsible adult and I certainly know my limits and I, too indulge on occasion. I have been working on this recipe for awhile now and I have to say it's pretty refreshing, just sweet enough and strong enough for a man but gentle enough for a woman. I always hated that slogan...

Mojito
3/4 cup coconut water
2 limes
handful of fresh mint
1/3 cup rum
slices of pineapple for garnish

In a cocktail shaker, mix coconut water and rum, juice both limes and add the juice in the shaker. Rinse mint and peel the leaves from the stem, take a handful of the leaves and place in with the liquor. Add ice and with a muddler grind the mint leaves in like you are trying to smash them to the bottom of the shaker. If you don't have a muddler you can use a wooden spoon and get the same effect OR watch the video below, I will be doing this from now on. Put the lid on the shaker and shake it like a Polaroid picture. Put a few pieces of pineapple in the bottom of a glass and fill with mojito, add a few mint leaves and drink up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RKvuIn25ms
*I used coconut water with pineapple puree in it.
**I also strained the liquid out of the shaker so the mint would stay in my shaker.
***I found a brand of rum that has mint extract in it but I can no longer find it, so look for it and if you find it please let me know.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment