Sunday, September 16, 2012

Aioli Sauce

In April we took a trip to Washington state which I blogged about in a previous post. We love it there for many reasons but in true foodee form, one of our highlights was Mor Mor Bistro in Poulsbo. HIGHLY recommended,  so highly, we ate there twice in the one-week trip. That says a lot because we are big on trying as many different types of food as we can when we travel. This place was GOOD, and best of all it had this a-maz-ing aioli that was pretty dang close to paleo as far as we could tell. We couldn't get enough of it so back in August I made some aioli for the BLT Skewers... It was just ok. It was very watery but it worked for what I was using it for. Since then I have been thinking of ways to make it have a better consistency-- more like the aioli I fell in love with on the trip, and I finally did it. I can't wait to make some sweet potato fries to dip it in...MMMMmmm... I did make a chicken dish using it and I will be posting that in a few days.


Aioli
3/4 cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
2 egg yolks (at room temp if possible)
2 tsp. dijion mustard
3 gloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Separate egg yolks from the whites, but keep the whites to use in something else; breakfast the next morning? Put the yolks in a large mixing bowl or using a stand mixer like I did and beat until yolks are a pale yellow and have a creamy consistency. Next with your mixer on a medium to high speed, VERY VERY SLOWLY mix in olive oil, I mean a tiny drizzle at a time, this step took me at least 10-15 mins. I poured in the oil in a steady slow thin stream for about 1 min. then I would wait a minute so the oil could mix with the yolks. I did this over and over until all the oil was mixed in, then I let the mixer continue to beat the oil in for another 5 mins. FINALLY one by one, add in all other ingredients, stopping to let each one mix evenly before adding the next. After everything has been thoroughly mixed, whip the mixture for a few more mins then pour in a serving bowl or jar and refrigerate until needed. You should have a very pale yellow creamy somewhat thick sauce. It should also be VERY tasty.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Please post some seafood recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would but I hate seafood. I'm working on that though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stuff is amazing, Brittany. Really. I have eaten the whole bowl. I saved NONE for my family. I had some Paleo sweet potato chips. It was me, the chips and the ailoi. All alone. Together forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need this in my life! I will carry it restaurants bc there is NEVER a good dipping sauce for sweet potatoe fries!

    ReplyDelete