Friday, August 3, 2012

Italian Burgers w/Tomato Basil Sauce

I was really in the mood for some hearty Italian food but I didn't want a spaghetti or "pasta" dish. This was a total experiment, but then again, so is almost every meal I make. This one worked out.

This burger has mushrooms in it, which I hate. Ok, that's not completely fair to shrooms, I hate the texture of the fungus, not the actual fungus itself. I have been sneaking them into my food, trying to eat a few here and there to try and get myself used to the texture. I think it's working! A year ago when I would try and eat them I could not physically make my jaws chew them and now I am able to eat a whole burger without picking them out. Going Paleo has made me more open-minded and willing to try things that I would have NEVER even considered trying before! Am I the only one who feels like this? I already know the answer to that.

Italian Burgers
1 lb. mild Italian sausage
1 lb. ground pork
1/2 finely chopped mushrooms
1/8 cup chopped purple onion
1-2 tsp. Herbs de Provence
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

Tomato Basil Sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
4-6 oz. Basil chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. Herbs de Provence

Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl, mix sausage and ground meat then add in mushrooms, onion, Herbs de Provence and egg. Using your hands, mix all ingredients thoroughly and form into patties. Place patties on a baking sheet and bake about 30-40 mins.

While patties are baking, make the tomato basil sauce. In a small sauce pan heat garlic about 3-5 mins on medium heat or until garlic starts turning brown. Add tomato paste and chicken broth, stirring to combine. Once liquid is combined whisk in all other ingredient and let simmer on low heat until burgers are done.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I hate mushrooms too! It's a texture and taste thing for me. I made stir fry veggies the other day and didn't bother to pick out the mushrooms. If my eyes were closed I wouldn't have noticed the shrooms. I guess it's time to start trying mushrooms more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is time. Just bite the ehh... Shroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely burger! I am totally into burgers right now, so I'll have to add this to my list to make before summer's over! And I love mushrooms, so their inclusion sounds awesome to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carrie, I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't gotten past the texture yet, but w paleo I have definitely tried waaayyyy more than I ever thought about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too Sabrina, I eat way more stuff than I did before Paleo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cooked this earlier in the week. my husband loved them. even after i told him there was mushrooms in them. my husband is not a die hard paleo follower so i have to find things that everyone in the family will eat. living with picky eaters is hard but this recipe hit the spot. thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I am glad to hear that you found a dinner for everyone!

      Delete