Sunday, August 5, 2012

Crispy "Spussel Brouts"

Until recently, I have never been willing to try brussel sprouts... and now I LOVE them! My main reason for loathing them was that I had never had them prepared in a way that would make them taste good, much less edible, to me. I had only been exposed to the canned (Ew!) variety that had been microwaved in the disgusting juices that they canned the veggies with. That sounds repulsive! I love veggies, and I am willing to try most things, so while on a recent girls' lake trip I said "I will try a spussel brout!" Yep, that's what I called it. I came home with a new favorite food, and we have been eating them like crazy ever since. Casey, also a sprout hater, was shocked how much he liked them. Next formerly-repulsive vegetable on list: Beets. Yuck.

How 'sprout 'em?

Crispy "Spussel Brouts"
1 lb. brussel sprouts
3 Tbs. olive oil
3-4 Tbs. flax seed meal
2 Tbs. oregano
1 Tbs. rosemary
1 Tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Cut sprouts in half and put in a gallon size zip lock baggie. Mix all other ingredients together and pour in with the sprouts. Seal the bag and shake vigorously until the sprouts are covered in the mixture. Place in a baking dish and bake for 40-45 mins. Dust with salt and pepper and serve.

*I did not cut the sprouts in the picture in half...They were not soft enough so make sure to cut yours.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I had only ever had frozen brussel sprouts that were thrown in a microwave with Tony's...UNTIL now!! I decide I wanted a new veggie to add to dinner. I made them for dinner tonight and they were amazing!!! The spices and flavors are perfect. I can't wait to tell my friends and family!! Thanks Brittany! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you loved them! They are great with bacon in the a.m. too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toben made these last night for dinner. They were very tasty. We don't have flax so we didn't use it. What's the reason for adding it? Does it change the flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes it crispy..gice it just a little crunch when you bit into it.

    ReplyDelete