Saturday, August 25, 2012

BLT Kebobs

I threw a bridal shower last week and when deciding what food to serve I thought, "What better for a bridal shower than bacon," am I right? I love a good BLT, I mean I LOVE A GOOD BLT! Who doesn't?! If you say you don't then shame on you. This treat would be perfect for school lunches for all you Paleo parents out there, which I am not, but I do pack plenty of lunches for ourselves. I made a version of aioli for this recipe... It was very tasty but the consistency was a bit off. After chilling it an hour or so, it had much more workable texture. The flavor was a great compliment with the B the L and the T. There was one other problem... it is really hard to NOT eat all the bacon while you are trying to make the skewers. Fight through it; It will be worth the wait, I promise.


BLT Kebobs
1 lb. uncured nitrate free bacon
1-2 small tomatoes
a couple handfuls of spring greens
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 cup olive oil, not virgin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
tooth picks or skewers

Aioli
Using a mixer, beat the egg yolks. Then VERY SLOWLY drizzle in the olive oil, this step should take a few minutes. After all the oil is added and mixed with the yolks, whisk in all other ingredients until everything is thoroughly blended together. Pour in a jar and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Cut bacon in half and piece-by-piece lay flat in the skillet and cook until done. You do not want it to be to crispy, it needs to be pliable. After the bacon is done, place on a covered plate and let cool.

Dice tomatoes into small thin pieces, you want them to be slightly smaller than the bacon strips. Take your lettuce, aioli, toothpicks/skewers and a serving platter. Take a leaf or two of the lettuce and dip into the aioli, saturating it, then place the lettuce on a slice of bacon, top with tomato and fold the "sandwich" in half or you can roll it up. Either way works great. Stab it with a toothpick and place it on the serving platter. Continue until all the bacon is rolled up...or until you eat all the bacon whichever comes first.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. These. Were. Awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I've been craving them since tje shower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Everything is better with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to eat the whole entire plate... well not the plate. They were a great mixture to me, but I am no food critque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, the plate would not have been as good haha.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely do not like tomatoes but I was with Stephanie on eating the whole plate. These were so cute and tasted better than I could have imagined. Thanks for the recipes!!

    ReplyDelete