Sunday, July 15, 2012

Raspberry Cobbler Bars

Our friend and Crossfit coach Justin was recently transferred by the Coast Guard to New Orleans, and to send him off I made him and his wife Samantha this little treasure. I actually owed him a Paleo treat for opening the gym up to me a time or two when I couldn't make the normally-scheduled class. I also wanted to make something I hadn't tried before, plus I had all the frozen raspberries staring me in the face every time I looked in the freezer. I had bought a bunch of them on sale and froze what we wouldn't eat right away. They were basically crying because I'm always picking the blueberries out and not them.  They (still talking about the raspberries here) wanted to feel included in my cooking endeavors. I can definitely relate to that feeling, kinda like getting picked last for kickball in elementary school. Or needing to wear a helmet and pads during CrossFit... that would be me--but that is another story for another day. I sure hope they enjoyed this; I tasted it and I sure did.
One of my best dessert treats yet!

Raspberry Cobbler Bars
Crust
1 1/2 cups almond flour
2 Tbs. coconut oil
1 Tbs. raw honey
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

Preheat oven to 350.
In a mixer, combine all ingredients until the mixture is crumbly. Grease a baking dish with a very small amount of coconut oil. I used a browning pan. Press mixture into the dish making sure that it is evenly distributed and there are no holes in the crust. Bake for 10-12 mins. Remove from oven and let cool.

Filling
1/4 cup honey
zest of one lemon
1/4 cup (or less, for preference) of lemon juice
12oz bag frozen raspberries (Preserving juice at the bottom of bag for chocolate drizzle)
2 Tbs. coconut oil

Without rinsing out the mixing bowl combine honey, zest, lemon juice and melted coconut oil. Next, add in raspberries and mix with your hands until berries are coated with juice, you want the berries to break up into small pieces so use the mixer if need be. Spread filling over the top of the crust and bake for 15 mins. Drizzle melted dark chocolate for extra pizazz.

Dark Chocolate drizzle
1/4 cup 90% chocolate (half of a 3.5oz bar broken up into chunks)
1/6 cup melted coconut oil
1 Tbs. raw honey
pinch of sea salt

On low heat, heat a small sauce pan and add mix all ingredients, stirring constantly until chocolate is smooth. I added in the juices and pieces or raspberry that were at the bottom of the bag (suggested earlier) an amount no more than about a Tbs. of juice and drizzled over the cooled raspberry bars.

*Dark Chocolate drizzle is optional, the bars are very tasty with out it.
**I popped my pan in the freezer for about 15 mins so the chocolate would harden and the bars would be easier to cut. Once they are room temp again they become more like cobbler than bars.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. These look divine! I love bar cookies and always have some frozen raspberries in the freezer. Bet these would be good made with other berries as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah they would! I hope you love them like I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these tonight, they really didn't turn out for me. The crust was very dry, then when I added the berries it just absorbed all the liquid and became very mushy, not cooked at all, not possible to eat like a bar but have to scoop out with a spoon. I noticed in your picture your crust looks very coarse, did you by chance use almond meal and not flour? i.e. Bob's Red Mill or something coarse? Wondering if using fine ground almond flour was the difference. Also used 8x8" pan, size wasn't listed in the recipe so maybe it had to be spread more thinly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Jenny. I make my own unblanced almond flour and since it is unblanched it is considered meal. I did use a 8x8 pan as well. BUT *see notes* I put the in the freezer for a few minutes after they were done but once they are room temp they did become a bit like cobbler. I think the flour is the reason your bars didn't make, I am so sorry and next time I will specify.

      Delete