Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Maple Bacon BBQ Sauce

Martina McBride's "Independence Day" is playing in my head... Just in time for the 4th of July, a BBQ sauce that isn't filled with crap and is pretty spectacular if I say so myself. Side note: I feel like I brag about my food...It's not really that I think I am so awesome I just love food and like to compliment it as much as I can. Back to Independence day, I am reading a book right now about WWII and it gives me such a better understanding about what our servicemen and women go through. It also makes me very grateful to them! I have lots of Coastie friends and that too has given me a new appreciation. I'll be honest, they are better people than me, I'm way too selfish to do what our armed forces do, let alone go overseas in the middle of a war. I don't think I could protect others like these men and women so, I usually jump behind someone or run away if something is going down, and I get extremely nervous. Thank God we have such brave and unselfish people willing to fight for people like me! This might have been a better post on Memorial Day but oh well. To show my thanks, I made this Maple Bacon BBQ per request by my friend (silly sidenote: This is my potential replacement husband if A. Things don't work out with him and Julie Foucher and B. Something "happens" to Casey hehe) I would also like to point out that I slow cooked ribs all night slathered in this sauce... It is extremely hard to sleep with the smell of bacon creeping under your door!!
NOT WEAKSAUCE!

Maple Bacon Sauce
8 pieces of bacon
1 cup pure maple syrup
2 garlic cloves minced
1 cup ketchup
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Just a splash of 'liquid smoke'

In a sauce pan, cook bacon until crispy and remove from pot, set aside for later. Add maple syrup and garlic to the bacon grease, stir on medium to low heat. When it is nice and hot, add the rest of the ingredients. Stirring constantly, let simmer 5-10 mins. Let cool and store in a jar or eat right then and there!

* I slow-cooked a rack of baby back ribs seasoned with salt and pepper and a splash of liquid smoke for 12 hours on 250, while basting every few hours with the sauce

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. The julie foucher reference is awesome. I can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yep this sauce could stand alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chunks of bacon in this sauce make this completely "eat straight out of the jar" awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete