Friday, June 1, 2012

Paleo Flatbread

This is the flatbread used for the gyro recipe... Just typing that makes me want to eat it again!
Back to the "bread", it was perfect, perfect texture and everything! It tasted like real bread and I will most definitely use it again for burgers, wraps or sandwiches. I wish I could claim it was my creation but I can't, though, I did add chopped parsley to it just to give it a little texture and to incorporate more herbs in the overall dish. This is where I found it:

http://spicypaleo.blogspot.com/2010/10/flat-bread.html




Paleo Flatbread
1/3 cup steamed and pureed cauliflower
4 egg yolks
6 egg whites
2 Tbs. parsley
1 tsp salt
Coconut oil (for your cooking pan)

Preheat oven to 300. Break cauliflower up and using a steam-pot steam it until soft, about 30 min. After it is almost falling apart transfer it to a food processor and puree. Mix the puree with the eggs yolks. Beat egg whites with the sea salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold in the veggie mixture and parsley until blended, then get out a baking pan. I used a brownie pan and greased it with the coconut oil, then grease it again...really really grease it!

Pour the mixture in the pan and smooth until it is evenly distributed and bake until the bread is golden or about 30 mins. I used a pizza cutter to cut into bread slices.

*Dont spread it too thin, You want it thick like real bread.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. What! I need to try this! Awesome idea and seems so easy. Does it hold together, or is it pretty crumbly/flimsy? That's my number one complaint with paleo breads thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It holds pretty well, It gets soggy a bit faster but other than that I have no complains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well when your husband says let's have this again it's a keeper! I heeded the advice and kept mine thick when pouring the mixture on the pan. I noticed hardly any rising and when taken out of oven it collapses slightly. Very sturdy to me. I served it with the cucumber salad Britany posted earlier. This Paleo flatbread really added to my meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would make sure that your eggs are whipped into a meringue and cauliflower is completely pureed. I am so happy to hear that the husband liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to thank you for this recipe--I'm very glad to have found it! My wife has really missed bread since we changed our diet, and this has been a good substitute. We're not following Paleo, we're doing "Slow Carb," and this is a great accompaniment to Ethiopian lentils.

    I just wanted to throw a couple ideas out there. If you use parchment paper, you won't need as much oil. I greased the heck out of my pan the first time, and it still stuck in a few places, but with parchment paper and a little spray oil, it came right off. Also, I think it could stand to have more cauliflower, but I've just approximated it , probably closer to 1/2 cup or more every time I've made it.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it and thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete