Monday, June 4, 2012

Meatball Soup

I have made this soup three times trying to get it right. GRRR. I made it this past week (again) and feel better about it. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than what I started with. Don't you just hate when you are trying to perfect something and you can't get it quite right? I feel that this dish is missing something, so input is encouraged and welcomed! As with the recent theme of my recipes, this works great in a crockpot!


Meatballs
2 lbs. ground meat (I used beef)
1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
1 Tbs. onion powder
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. marjoram
1/8 paprika
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

Soup
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup strained tomatoes
3 gloves garlic (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
6 large carrots (sliced)
4-5 basil leaves
1tsp. fresh oregano (chopped)

In a large pot, add tomatoes, broth, tomatoes, onion, carrots and garlic and simmer on medium to high heat. While your soup is cooking, make your meatballs by mixing meat with the egg, cayenne, onion powder, thyme, marjoram, paprika, salt and pepper. Work all the spices using your hands and trying to get them evenly distributed. Next make meatballs (bite-sized or however you prefer) and drop them one-by-one into the soup. Turn the heat down slightly and add the fresh basil and oregano. Place a lid on the pot and cook until veggies are soft and the meat is cooked thoroughly. Should cook for about 35 minutes.

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. I make a similiar Paleo Meatball soup. I don't add egg to the meat, though. They stay together well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, have you tried baking the meatballs in the oven before adding them to the soup. We make the Paleo spaghetti with squash and I do this before I add them to the sauce. Seems to give them a little crust and added flavor. Just a thought...Shawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! I am def. doing that next time:)

      Delete
    2. Try browning the meatballs in your stock pot. They won't cook all the way through. Remove them and deglaze the pot with red wine or chicken stock. Then add your ingredients for your soup. It will add depth to the flavor. This is how I make my meatballs and red sauce. Which funny enough I ate tonight over zucchini noodles.

      Delete
  3. do you use canned chicken broth or get it from cooking your own chicken and use that broth?

    ReplyDelete