Saturday, May 26, 2012

Baked Plantains

I recently had a request for a blog post involving plantains. I love plantains because they are just sweet enough without being overpowering. Pair them with a nice batch of guac and now we are talking! I have been making these for the Paleo workshops I have been leading, and they seem to be a crowd-pleaser. Although I love them so much, I admit they are a bit of a pain to make--especially to fry, so I did a little experiment and baked them and it was so much easier and tasted exactly the same. These are great for parties, as well as  "post-WOD" snacks.

Feelin' chippy

Plantain Chips
5 Plantains (Do NOT peel yet)
4-5 Tbs. coconut oil
Sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Slice the plantains thinly, but not see-through, about 1/8 inch thick. After you have sliced all the plantains, take the peeling off the slices individually. This is time-consuming, but I have found that it is much harder to peel before the plaintains have been sliced. Melt coconut oil in a large bowl and put all the plantain chips in the oil and toss around until chips are coated in oil. Spread chips out on a baking sheet (one with a lip) and bake about 15 mins or until the underneath is golden to medium brown. Flip and bake another 15 mins. Sprinkle with sea salt and let cool. I also made guacamole to serve.

Guacamole
4-5 avocados
1 12oz package pico de gallo* (found at HEB)
Optional: Salt, pepper, juice of 1/2 of a lime

Cut avocados in half and remove the pit, spoon the "meat" into a mixing bowl and add entire container of pico. Mix the avocados and pico with a fork, leaving it a little chunky.

*If you can't find the pico, you can make your own:
1/2 purple onion (they are NOT red so I refuse to say red onion) chopped
1-2 roma tomatoes diced
3-4 green onions chopped
handful fresh cilantro chopped
1 jalapeno minced or finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
sea salt to taste

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Cant wait to try these. Thanks for posting....Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. No they are not red! Haha I always wondered about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know!! I will not call them red!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying this Sunday for a snack during the football Game! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect snack for football game watching!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for the recipe!... They turned out great...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete