Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Stuffed Acorn Squash

My sister prepared this dish one year for Thanksgiving and has been making it ever since. Acorn squash goes great with just about anything. I can eat it plain or use it instead of pumpkin for my pumpkin pies (coming soon) or it can provide a hearty flavor when added to meat. Like most squash it is extremely versatile and easy to prepare. It is also a great substitute for sweet potatoes.


Squashes? Or is it Squish?
Stuffed Acorn Squash
3-4 acorn squash
1 Tbs. coconut oil*
1 tsp. cinnamon**
2 lbs. ground beef
1 yellow onion
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 1/2 chopped asparagus
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup basil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.
Peel squash and then cut in half and remove seeds. Place on baking sheet and rub down with coconut oil, making sure to get inside as well as outside the entire squash halves. Sprinkle with cinnamon and rub evenly over squash. Bake for about 30 mins or until you can puncture it easily with a knife. Meanwhile, begin browning the meat and while it's cooking, chop the onion. Using a food processor, chop carrots and asparagus (almost mincing it) until very fine. Add onion, carrots and asparagus to the meat. Once the meat is almost done browning, chop herbs and toss them in after veggies have softened. Stir in the salt and pepper, as much as you would like. Next, with a large spoon fill the insides of the squash with the meat and veggie mixture and bake for 30-40 mins.

* I added in a 1/2 Tbs. of coconut oil into meat before I stuffed my squash just for kicks.
**I also sprinkled a dash of nutmeg onto of stuffed squash before going into oven. Again, for kicks.


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I saw you blowing up Foodee! Excellent job!
    As for the plural of squash, it's squash. It's like deer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I was speaking in "dog":)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this tastes amazing. And I can imagine the house smells wonderful while it's cooking! Can't wait to try. Oh, and congrats on Foodee debut!

    And, Caleb wants me to remind you: Marshmallows, please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does smell good! Tell Caleb it's on my "make for Caleb list" that boy is keeping me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caleb is just preparing you for motherhood. ;)

      Delete