Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Paleo Gyros

Last weekend, our CrossFit family had a super-secret Sunday Funday in honor of our coaches (and friends) Brian and Sabrina, who are leaving to start their own box in Savannah, Georgia. Brian in particular loves gyros so Cassie, my friend over at leetsstreet, and I thought it would be fun to have a paleo gyro cook-off. Friendly competition such as this was a good idea in theory... Unfortunately, we arrived a couple of hours apart and the vultures managed to eat all of mine before she was able to arrive with hers for a proper taste testing.

I ate both, and found that they were each unique and different, which shows how versatile Paleo can be. I made a "flatbread" while she used lettuce wraps; I used lamb she used a beef and pork mixture; I used a pot she used sticks; Both turned out delish and flavorful and I think you should try both so be sure to check her's out too!

Sunday Funday was a huge success! Brian and Sabrina were totally surprised and everybody had a great time, thanks to Mark and his wife Tiffany who let this rowdy bunch in their beautiful home. We will miss our friends so so much, but are happy for them nonetheless. May 5th is CrossFit Steadfast's grand opening and we are going to see them !!

As for the recipe.. I used the cooking method found at Clothes Make the Girl. Her site is awesome too!

A Gyro, fit for a hero. These words rhyme, depending on where you are from.
Paleo Gyros
2lbs. Lamb arm roast and chops (bone-in)
1 Tbs. chopped mint
1 Tbs. oregano
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbs. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram
salt and pepper
juice of four lemons

Tzatziki (Zot-zee-kee, or "Gyro Sauce")
8 oz. can coconut milk
1 cucumber (sliced and seeded)
1 garlic clove minced
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
2-3 mint leaves
1/2 tsp. dill
1 Tbs. fresh parsley


Mix mint, oregano, garlic, cumin, cayenne, marjoram, and salt/pepper together. Do not de-bone lamb just yet. Put lamb in a large ziplock bag, dump in the the spice mix and shake the baggie until all the lamb is covered in the spiced mixture. In an overly-obnoxious southern accent you can say "It's shake-n-bake and I helped!" for dramatic effect. Heat lemon juice in a large pot on high heat and add in the lamb, then add in just enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a strong boil then reduce heat-- you want the water to still be slightly bubbling. Cook like this for about three hours or until water has cooked off. Flip the meat at the two-hour mark. You want the meat to carmelize and char a tiny bit.

Remove the meat and let it cool. In the meantime, in a food processor, combine all ingredients for the Tzatziki and puree. Pour in serving bowl and let chill.

De-bone the lamb meat and wrap it in the "flatbread" or a lettuce wrap if you prefer, top with purple onion (they are purple not red!), and sauce and serve.  The recipe for the "flatbread" will be coming soon.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I will have to make this to see who won! They sound awesome. I love lamb but it's so pricey. Maybe I need to raise my own.... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better yet I'll just have y'all over for dinner next time I make this!

      Delete
  2. This was sooooo yummy! I'm sure I will have to make more because Brian def love them! Crazy how much you can do with Paleo. You are soooo creative thank you for figuring this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy how much you can do with Paleo when you get creative!

      Delete
  3. You and Cassie are quite creative! I might have to sub for the lamb. Caleb said he didn't think he could "eat a lil' lamb." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will feel differently when he has a taste... Lamb is delish! I must admit I did think about how cute they are while cooking this. I'll send you a video about why it's important to eat animal to ensure that they stay in existence. I know it sounds strange, but the video will explain.

      Delete
    2. Camden has explained to Caleb many times the importance of killing animals (I know that just sounded cruel). We don't mean cats and dogs. But, the animals God gave us to eat. According to Camden, deer will lose their teeth as they age and starve to death. That's more cruel than killing Bambi. I guess the thought of the little lamb is just too hard for Caleb to imagine. ;)

      Delete