Friday, April 13, 2012

Apple Sage Pork Chops

Last week, we went to Washington state to visit my grand-uncle and see what the place had to offer. It was beautiful! The weather was sunny and warm the whole time we were there, which is not the norm. We got to see waterfalls, rivers, mountains and forests the likes of which we will never see down here in Texas. We even got to experience Trader Joe's for the first time. We went crazy in there; everything is so much cheaper. For instance, I could buy 4 lbs. of almond flour for what I would pay for 1lb. here... Coconut oil was also about half the price as it is here, so we stocked up! We also stopped in at a local shop that sold real raw honey! Stedman Bee Supplies Inc. has operated on the honor system for years, so even if they are closed they will let you go buy from them which I think is really cool. The honey comes in a wide variety and each one is amazing plus it was WAY cheaper than the stuff I can get at the store.

We also got to drop in at two boxes: CrossFit 98110 and Narrows CrossFit. Both had really nice people and some killer WOD's. Narrows had a feeling of home to us, the athletes there reminded us of our own CrossFit family. There was a real sense of community and camaraderie displayed in their gym. As a matter of fact, I'm sporting my totally cool NCF shirt now! PLUS they introduced us to strongerfasterhealthier fish oil! I am so excited because I have been looking for a better fish oil and now I found it, it also comes in a fresh minty flavor! So you could say our trip was a success; we got to spend quality time with my uncle (Who watched us WOD, to see what all the madness was about), see lots of beautiful things, had lots of good food, and met some really cool people through CrossFit. I made this dish while we were there and it was delish.

Apple Sage Pork Chops


Apple Sage Pork Chops
2 lbs. bone-in pork chop
2 Gala or Fuji apples
2-3 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
1-2 Tbs bacon fat
salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat bacon fat. Season both sides of pork chops with sage, salt and pepper. I peppered mine quite a bit-- about 1/4 tsp per chop.  Add the chops in the skillet, cooking about 5-7 mins per side or until juices run clear. While pork chops are cooking, chop apples into chunks and set aside. Next, remove chops from skillet and add apples into the skillet, tossing in the pork juices until coated and cook for about 10-15 or until nice and tender. Serve apples over pork chops and devour because it is amazing!

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you needed a few extra bags to come home. I loved Washington when we lived there. I wish I could have gotten out more and experienced the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We stuffed our bags full! The Mountains were so beautiful I'm sure you miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you mentioned Traders Joes, I was jealous! But, I am so glad you were able to go and have such a good time.

    And I'm always thankful when you post a new recipe. Our family's health has improved so much once completely going "Paleo". Camden completed the Paleo challenge at CFBC (and truly stuck to it). Once done, he was ready to "cheat" and did so. He quickly found out there are consequences to cheating and told me yesterday, "Mom, I just feel better when I eat Paleo."

    YES! Thank you, God!!! This is what I've been praying. It's hard to push eating convictions on others. They need to have the understanding from the inside out. Otherwise, it doesn't stick.

    All of your recipes, of course, are amazing! But, I can't wait to try this one. I'm going to try it with chicken (we can't have much pig - allergies). Should I make any changes using chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear it, Camden has true will power! Yes there are always consequences to cheating...every form of it. I would cook the chicken the same way if I were you, just remember not to over cook;)

    ReplyDelete