Thursday, March 8, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes

I LOVE a good cupcake! I am a reformed sugar addict... Ok, maybe not entirely "reformed" but I'm trying. Going Paleo has made things better. However, there is nothing better than cupcakes, I mean not only are they delish but they are the cutest little things ever. Nothing screams "Girly!!" like a cupcake, and everybody who knows me knows I love all things girly and I'm not afraid to say it! I even bought a Lulu skirt to WOD in... Let's face it, a cupcake belongs in my hand at all times, preferably.  I even have a cupcake-print apron and a little cupcake necklace. So you could say I'm passionate about cupcakes... and anything girly and pink. Anyway I have been trying to come up with a recipe that tastes like a "real" cupcake and I think this is as close as I'm going to get:

P.S. Real men eat cupcakes. These smell amazing and taste great even without the icing.


Let them have (cup)cake.

Cakes
1/2 cup coconut flour
6 eggs
1/4 tsp. Baking soda
1 1/2 cups strawberries (finely-chopped)
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 Tbs. Raw wildflower honey
1/2 Tbs. vanilla extract
Pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350 and line a 12 muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Mix all dry ingredients until combined and then add in all other ingredients except the strawberries.
After batter is mixed, add strawberries evenly and mix thoroughly. With a spoon, add batter into each liner about 3/4 full and bake 20-25 mins.

Strawberry Icing
1/2 cup strawberry preserves
1 Tbs. pure maple syrup
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. arrowroot powder

Whip egg whites in a mixer until they form peaks (like meringue) about 10 mins.
With hand mixer, mix preserves, maple syrup, vanilla and arrowroot powder. When egg whites are ready, fold in the preserves mixture and very gently fold the whites over the mixture by hand until everything is evenly mixed.

*Arrowroot powder can be found in the baking aisle or with the spices. Arrowroot powder is the starch extracted from the arrowroot plant. It is used as a thickener as opposed to flour, cornmeal, etc.
** This icing is not as thick as "traditional" icing.

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Couple of questions. What if I used all coconut oil and not grapeseed oil? Would it make a difference? Also, if making these to eat later, will the icing "stay" or should we place the icing on top just before eating?

    I have found unbleached cupcake/muffin liners online (in case anyone is concerned with the chemicals in the colored ones). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Coconut oil should be fine. The icing stays pretty well, I iced mine a few hours before serving and it didn't separate, actually the next day they were fine--they did get a bit "airy" though. I store the leftovers in the fridge and did have to remix when taking them out.

      Delete
  2. One more question...is there a way to print your recipes (a "print" button somewhere I'm not seeing)? {Don't make fun of me, Casey!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My IT team is working on it!

      Delete
    2. Just noticed the print button. Your IT guy is AMAZING! :)

      And what a customer-friendly blog you have here!! The service is phenomenal. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yes I would love a print button! Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made these and loved them! I didn't have the ingredients to make the icing. So, I called them "muffins" and my kids gobbled them down! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any advise on strawberry preserves? Can I just food process strawberries to creamy and then maybe strain out the seeds and such, or am I missing the boat completely. :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy this brand http://www.iherb.com/St-Dalfour-Wild-Blueberry-Deluxe-Wild-Blueberry-Spread-10-oz-284-g/27293 but you could try puree the strawberries and add a little unflavored gelatin that way it would be thick. Please let me know how they come out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Should you store the leftover iced cupcakes in the fridge? Or should you leave them out? I'm unsure because of the egg whites in the frosting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left mine out but then again they only lasted a day or so. I think you would be ok either way.

      Delete