Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Kale Chips

Kale chips are quick, easy, and cheap to make. Paleo-ers are often asked "If you don't eat dairy then how do you get your calcium?" The answer is simply "greens." Veggies. You know...

Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Collards
Kale
Kohlrabi
Mustard
Rutabaga
Turnips

The absorption rate from leafy veggies otherwise known as "brassica" vegetables is higher than from milk (which I hate anyway!) plus they have numerous other health benefits. In my house, kale is a must-have; and this is a good snack or treat to bring to a party or get-together.



Kale Chips
1 large bunch kale
1 Tbs. Tamari
juice from 1/2 lime
dash Cayenne pepper
splash of olive oil
sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 325.
De-stem kale (lay the kale flat and cut alongside of the "seam" that runs up the middle on both sides of kale and discard the stem) Continue on all Kale leaves and tear or cut into small (not too small) chip-sized pieces.
Mix Tamari, lime juice, pepper and olive oil in a large mixing bowl then add in kale. Toss kale in liquid mixture until coated. Lay kale out on a cookie sheet, careful not to overlap leaves and sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 25 mins or until kale is dry.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. So the first time I tried Kale chips bought from a store, it just did not work for me. These are really really good though. I def hesitated but then couldn't stop eating them. Highly recommended!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the first time Cass made kale chips i pretty much said "what the hell is that?!?" and about 27.2 seconds later i had finished the whole batch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that to be a pretty common reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am just thankful you explained how to de-stem the kale. I am in the remedial homemaker division of life. Seriously. I have wasted so much kale until now!

    I made one of your recipes last week and it was delicious. But mine was so ugly. I explained to my family, "That's why Brittany has the cooking blog and I have a non-cooking blog!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously laughed out loud when I read this!! You are too sweet, and I'm sure your boys think you are the best chef ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice. But, no, they don't consider me a good chef. In fact, your name comes up OFTEN at dinner time (Do you think you could ask Mrs. Brittany how to make...fill in the blank.) But, that's okay because I have other assets. :)

      Hey, do you think I could make these in the deydrator?

      Delete
  6. Those boys are so sweet! You sure can use a dehydrator.

    ReplyDelete