Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Jicama Fries and Ketchup

Every once in awhile, I get a craving for french fries. I would have never allowed myself to eat french fries before Paleo. I would have a fry or two every blue moon but that was it. Even then I would agonize about the fact that I was weak and couldn't resist, or I would chew them up and spit it out just to get the taste. I don't have to torture myself anymore because I discovered sweet potato fries! But wanted something that tasted more like traditional french fries. I remembered my old friend jicama!

 One summer in Mexico, Casey and I were taking little stroll and I wanted some pineapple (which is AMAZING in Mexico) and we stopped at a fruit stand, bought what we thought were pineapple slices... it turned out to be jicama. It's a root veggie that looks a lot like an unpeeled potato, only sweeter with a slight zesty citrus flavor. I was really pleased with this dish and it tasted very close to the real deal!


Ketchup, anyone?

Ketchup
15oz tomato sauce
6oz tomato paste
3 Tbl. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
Pinch of cloves
Double pinch of allspice

Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and heat on meduim to low heat for 10mins, whisking frequently.
Let cool and transfer to glass jar (all the ones you have been saving) and refrigerate.


Fries
1 jicama, peeled
1/2 cup fat (olive oil, coconut oil or bacon)

Heat oil in skillet and get it nice and hot (flick a little water on the oil and if it sizzles, it's ready)
Take the jicama and dice into small strips (like fries) and toss them in the skillet and cover. Cook about 10 mins or until crispy. Place on a plate and napkin (to absorb oils) and sprinkle with sea salt.

* I used left over oil from the corndogs, and an electric skillet.

Pin It

19 comments:

  1. We can't wait to try this one! Where can I find jimaca?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Market Basket...I don't think I have ever seen it at HEB. It looks like a round-ish potato.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how do I pronounce it (so they don't think I'm a hillbilly when I ask for this at MB)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "jic" is like your saying "hiccup" then "uh ma"

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, love this fruit and so do my kids...what an awesome idea!! Never thought of frying it! And my younger son loves ketchup so I will have him make his own (I can't stand the stuff!)

    Great ideas! Thanks!

    ps. Read another post where you talk about planning on Sundays, THANKS!!! I needed some advice on how to make it all work and come together.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This turned out really great, and the ketchup tastes just like "real" ketchup.

      PLAN PLAN PLAN!!!

      Delete
  6. We made these and, oh my, they are so good. My kids gobbled them up (so I'm going to start making them when I'm home alone...hee hee hee).

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long does the Ketchup last for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say a few weeks. You might need to stir it before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are they soft on the inside or still crunchy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I linked your awesome recipe to my fb page :) Sooo yummy!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Heart-Paleo/391868850896676?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epic fail.... these turned out nothing how you described. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry they didn't turn out for you:( You might try to slice them a little thinnner and make sure your oil is heated enough, hope that helps.

      Delete