Monday, March 12, 2012

Glazed Meatloaf

The word "meatloaf" has always sounded repulsive to me until recently. I have been making this dish for the last several years, trying to make it "healthier" each time until I paleotized it. I hated meatloaf for most of my life but since going paleo, I have found several meatloaf  recipes that I have really enjoyed. This rendition puts a grown-up spin (think "herbier") on the traditional dish. It's also a little more complex but perfect for a Sunday dinner or you can make it in advance and freeze, re-heat and serve. Personally, I  have never frozen it because we usually eat it all. :)

Not your mom's crappy meatloaf
Glazed Meatloaf
2 lbs. Grass-fed ground beef (or bison/turkey)
1/2 onion (chopped) *
1 small zucchini (chopped)
1 red pepper (chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)
5 cloves garlic (smashed)
1/4 -1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 egg
2 Tbs. dried parsley
1/2 Tbs. dried thyme
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 ground flax seed
3/4 cup ketchup (divided)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar + 2 Tbl.
1-2 Tbl. olive oil

Preheat oven to 425. Heat oil over medium heat and add zucchini, peppers, garlic and cook until soft. In a large bowl, mix meat, red pepper, egg,  flour, flax seed, 1/2 cup ketchup and 2 Tbl. balsamic vinegar and herbs. When veggies are done and have cooled, combine them with meat mixture and mix until everything is evenly distributed. Transfer meat to a loaf pan, patting it down so it's solid.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remainder of ketchup*** and vinegar and brush over the loaf.
Bake for 1-1/1/4 hour. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.

* While the recipe doesn't call for it, I threw in half an onion because I needed to use it up.
** Yellow peppers go great in this but they are way too costly right now so I left them out.
*** I'm glad I had that jar of leftover ketchup in the fridge. It was in a red pepper jar that I saved (Hint hint).

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. We used to have a wonderful meatloaf recipe (that was "healthy" but used grains and now we want "healthiest"). I'll have to try this one. The last meatloaf I made (attempting Paleo meatloaf) was so dry. We went through lots of water at the dinner table that night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love love love this meatloaf! I might make it again this week...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmm....I think I might try this SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night. It is the best meatloaf ever and seemed to make a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love this meatloaf too Connie! Thank ou for cooking it AND commenting!

    ReplyDelete