Saturday, March 10, 2012

Coconut Curry Burgers

Awhile back, my CrossFit girlfriends Sabrina, Lauren, Telia and I made a trip to the "big city," aka Houston, for the day. The purposes of making that 1 1/2-hour drive was to shop at Lululemon and Central Market, a health food store that I wish our small refinery town had. We had so much fun! We bought way too much Lulu (is that even possible?) and went crazy in Central Market. When we got to the spice aisle, we really went CrAzY. I find it more cost effective and green to "buy and bag" spices from the bins instead of the pre-bottled spices, then filling up my empty spice jars and bottles when I get home. I often re-label my bottles and fill it with whatever spice I just bought. This way you arent wasting glass and plastic (which makes mother nature cry) and you can buy as much or as little as you need which I find to be more economical. Back to going CrAzY-go-nuts, our health food store has only a small end-cap of seasonings and spices... this store had a selection of more than a aisle!  We started filling up baggies like nobody's business! That's when I came across coconut curry powder, took a whiff and loaded up a baggie. I looked over at Telia and said, "I have no idea how I'm going to use this, but it smells too good to pass up!" She said "Oh you'll find something." Well, I did! This dish was so good that I was just as excited to eat it the next day for lunch.

Carl's Jr. ain't got nothin' on this

Coconut Curry Burgers
2 lbs. grass-fed ground beef
1 egg
1 zucchini (chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)
1 yellow onion (chopped)
3-4 Tbs. coconut curry powder*
1 -2 Tbs. coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

Heat oil in a large skillet or griddle.
Use your food processor (Still don't have one? Do you have a birthday or something coming up?) to chop zucchini, pepper and onion. In a large mixing bowl, add the meat, egg and coconut curry and mix with your hands until the veggies are really worked in. Make your patties and place in your skillet or on your griddle and cook until both sides are done, then serve.** I prefer my burgers well done but it's all about personal preference.

* If you don't have a Central Market I'm sure you can still find coconut curry powder at your local store.
** I topped this with guacamole and served fajita style veggies with it.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. We were in Austin this week. I didn't even think about going to Central Market! We went to Whole Foods for a quick run to the store so we could try to eat well during our vacation. It's a bit difficult to travel (esp. on an extended vacation with kids) AND eat Paleo. Maybe you could give us some tips in the future (hint hint).

    What I have found helpful is to cook, cook, cook beforehand and store in coolers. I also try to order quick foods (grain-free cereals and raw snacks) online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are 100% right! It's all in the planning, make a list, cook, store/freeze, and research places to eat and shop!! We took a ski/snowboard trip to Montana in January with a group of CrossFitters, and I planned the all the meals. I planned in ahead and cooked,froze and shipped what we could not buy or prepare when we got there. Yeah It was work but We didn't cook our trip away and staying Paleo was not a problem.

    ReplyDelete