Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pig-in-a-Pig

This is a great little hors d'oeuvre for any party! They are super-easy and I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't enjoy them. Once upon a time, I wasn't so Paleo and I would frequently make these little treats--covered in brown sugar. There was no way I could deprive myself (or anyone else) of these forever, so I made them Paleo for a ski trip to Montana with some Crossfit friends. My coach and friend Stefan collaborated with me and we came up with the name "Pig-in-a Pig," because it's not really pigs-in-a-blanket, it's more like a pig in a pig.


Sooooooooo-ey!
Pig-in-a-Pig
1 package lil' smokies (Nitrate, Gluten and Sugar free*)
1 package bacon (Nitrate free)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 375. Cut bacon into thirds, about 2-3 inch long pieces and set aside. Then in a mixing bowl, add all smokies and maple syrup. Toss smokies around in syrup and one-by-one line them up on a cookie sheet** or a baking dish.  Add the bacon to the syrup a few strips at a time, covering them in syrup. Wrap one piece of bacon around each smokie, placing the seam-side down on the cookie sheet. Bake for about 45mins or until bacon looks done.

*I used AppleGate smokies
** This will make a lot of syrupy greese so be sure to use a sheet or dish with a lip.
***Been married going on 4 years and still have wedding napkins.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Yes please!!! These are sooooo delicious. I think I may go ahead and make some for the whole weekend tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be a huge hit in our house! Keep the recipes coming, Brittany. We have requests for: Red Velvet cake, chocolate chip cookies, brownies and ummmm...maybe something like strawberry cupcakes with strawberry icing. Ahem. Oh, and ketchup, please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ketchup check! I'm working on the rest:)

    ReplyDelete