Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Paleo Corndogs

In the beginning, I said I was coming clean about myself! So... I may have experience making corndogs... I may have worked at the local corndog stand in my hometown... It may have also been in a Walmart parking lot... Yes, I was the "corndog girl" at the California Corndogs stand one extremely hot summer in high school. It was horrible. You know how your little "somethings" look so fun-- like being a carhop, or ballet teacher... You cant wait to grow up and become them, only it turned out to not be any fun at all. But I did learn how to make a corndog and fresh lemonade and by fresh I mean a bunch of sugar water and squeezed lemon. My boyfriend at the time, whom I would later marry, would come to see me everyday. Of course he got free corndogs and lemonade every day. The point is, I have always loved corndogs... so I paleotized them

Paleo Corndogs

Corndog Batter
2/3 cups coconut flour
1 stick grass-fed butter(melted) or 8 oz Ghee
7 eggs
1-2 Tbs. honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup water
pinch of sea salt


Combine all dry ingredients in stand mixer or large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients, except for the water together until eggs are beat, then add to dry ingredients and mix until smooth, then add water. You want the batter to be thin but not too runny.

1 package nitrate free uncured hotdogs (I found an 8-pack at HEB)
Chop sticks (I think they are way more fun than plain sticks, plus it's an homage to my friend "The Infamous" Marc Spinks)

I used an electric skillet because I didn't have a fryer. I also used coconut oil and bacon fat to fry in, more than a cup of each. Add oil and heat on high, ideally you want the oil to be deep enough to cover the corndogs. Mine didn't because I didn't have enough oil so they were ugly (as you can see) but still tasted great.

Put the dogs on the sticks. Stab the stick in the center of the dog, going halfway up. Pour your batter in something deep and narrow, I used a deep pot. Holding the chop stick, dip the dog into the batter rotating it back and forth, almost swirling it (thank of the corndog guy at the carnival!) and when the hot dog is has a thin layer of batter, very quickly pull it out and point the dog to the ceiling, then submerge in oil for about 3 mins each side... if the oil does not cover the tops of the corndog the batter will unfold slightly, this is ok because when you take them out of the oil you can kinda sandwich the batter back around.




* I used an electric skillet because I didn't have a fryer. I also used coconut oil and bacon fat to fry in, more than a cup of each.
** Yes, I used butter. I use grass-fed butter on very rare occasions, basically only when I make paleo cornbread.

Pin It

16 comments:

  1. you worked at the corndog stand in Bridge City?!?!? Odds are I bought a corndog from you. I used to go there all the time when we would visit my grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did, it sucked. I was the really hot girl that worked there the summer of '02 lol! Those are the best corndogs in the world!!

      Delete
  2. this is pretty darn creative. paleo corn dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I mean who doesn't love a good dog? ;)

      Delete
  3. Just this week, as we were walking into Wal-Mart, Caleb said, "Mommy, I've eaten there" (and pointed to the corn dog stand). You know me. I was about to choke. My son ate corn dogs. He informed, also, that he had a LARGE lemonade. This was a treat when he recently stayed with my grandmother. He asked if I could make corn dogs. I NEVER thought in a million years I'd be able to actually make him a healthy corn dog!

    Thank you, Brittany!

    {Oh, and I worked the sno cone stand down the road. And my boyfriend, who is now my husband, got free sno cones. :) }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These came out really ugly but were great! Now the Boys can have there cake and eat it too. Sno Cone stand huh? Funny!!

      Delete
  4. Snocones and corndogs... Summer staple. I might have a relapse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so not going to have a relapse...

      Delete
  5. These look great! I worked at the corndog stand as well! The summer of '01!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you understand how much it sucked!?! Those corndogs were the best though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete