Friday, February 17, 2012

Apple & Sun-Dried Tomato Smothered Pork Loin

So bacon fat will kill you right? Give you a heart attack? No! It's animal fat, natural, pure animal fat! Have you ever checked the ingredients of other cooking fats and oils like Crisco, margarine, etc.? They contain hydrogenated oils, and things like partially hydrogenated soybean and cotton seed oil...what the heck is cotton seed oil? I don't ever remember sitting down for dinner to a big steaming bowl of cotton, so why would I want to eat cotton seed oil especially if it is hydrogenated. Trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils are more harmful than naturally-occurring oils. There is a correlation between cancer and the consumption of hydrogenated fats. These trans-fats block our bodies from using essential fatty acids, causing an increase in LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. Trans fats are also strongly associated with heart disease and diabetes, just to name a few.

Good fats:
- Tallow, lard or any animal fat
- Olive, nut and coconut oil
- Grass-fed butter (on occasion)
- Avocado (GUAC!)
- Nuts 

I was taught by my Grandma years ago to use bacon fat (southern Grandmas can cook!)  and not only is it delish but it is cost-effective. I use coconut, olive, and nut oils often but they get expensive. I also eat nitrate-free, uncured bacon almost everyday so I have tons of bacon fat stored in glass jars in the fridge to cook with later. Waste not, want not, yes? Also, I try to keep my empty glass jars of, say, sun-dried tomatoes so I can fill them up with bacon fat. That way, I'm B-eing (see what I did there) healthy, economical, and green!


Apple & Sun-Dried Tomato Smothered Pork Loin

Apple and Sun-dried Tomato Smothered Pork Loin

1 lb pork loin (I used bone-in)
3 Tbs. bacon fat
1 apple (cut into chunks)
10-15 sun-dried tomatoes
1 Tbs. dried rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add two Tbs. of  bacon fat to a skillet. While the bacon fat is melting, cut apple into chunks and add them along with tomatoes to the skillet and cover in the fat, sautee until apples are soft, about 10-15min.  Place pork in a baking dish and rub any leftover fat on the pork. After that, take the rosemary and crumble in over the bacon fat-covered pork then salt and pepper to taste. The apples should be soft by now, cover the pork with the content of the skillet, and bake for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until you cut into the pork and the juices run clear, not pink.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. That's how I fry my eggs ;-) awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Miranda thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete